7/26/11

Costa Rica-New Chapter

Yesterday was my first day without the group I've been traveling with for the past month. Our last week together was action packed and as usual I was meticulously documenting each moment. These last few days were some of my favorite of the trip because I got to do two things I've never done before, ziplining and white water rafting.

After we left the village we headed to Monte Verde where upon our arrival we practiced yoga for an hour and decompressed from the bus ride and our village stay. After a night of relaxation we made our way to the zipline "course" and flew thru the Jungle for a couple hours.
The next day we were set for a two day excursion down the Rio Pacuare. This river is considered to be in the top 5 best places in the world to tackle the o'l white water. The rapids weren't to challenging, at least not in a big multi-person raft, but I guess it could get pretty tricky in a personal kayak. Having done these "class 4" rapids I might just have to go check out the class 6 rapids which I'm told is the highest ranking. The river was absolutely beautiful. Throughout the entire 14 miles you are surrounded by jungle walls stretching hundreds, sometimes thousands of feet high. The guides make sure to steer you straight under the several waterfalls that pour into the river as you make your way down, surely the unique terrain must have something to do with the river being ranked among the best in the world.
Once we had a taste of what the river had to offer we paddled ashore to the Pacuare Lodge. The accommodations here were amazing and as unique as the river itself. The Pacuare Lodge is a 5 star "hotel", where the rooms have no electricity. The focus is on making a connection with your surroundings and being 100% sustainable. EVERYTHING has to be rafted in, from the ice in your drink to the candles that light your room. I lucked out, and for the second time on the trip had a jungle shack all to myself :) The next morning we continued down the river in disbelief that it was our last day of the trip. It seemed as if we had only met just a few days ago. It all came to a close as we neared the end of our river adventure.
One things for sure, after all the places we went and stuff we did together, I certainly wont be forgetting the people I shared these experiences with....


Especially these characters ^ (the guides). Travel on amigos...

For the next few days I will be traveling the coast in search of waves and more adventure. Check back soon for an update with a bit of a change of pace!

No comments:

Post a Comment