7/14/11

Costa Rica

One of the many "cow like" locals
View of the village

A few months ago I was put in contact with Guru from Campfire Creative. He told me about his company and how they were planning to work together with Walking Tree Travel. Now, for the remainder of July I am working as a Campfire Creative Media Guide on a Walking Tree Travel trip (Immersion Group B) in Costa Rica. Here is a glimpse of my life here so far...
Para-sailor close in Manuel Antonio

One of my host families Parrots eating my thumb

Costa Rica is “tranquilo”(chill, laid back). Super tranquilo. The locals will probably add “pura vida” to drive home the point. They essentially make it impossible for you to stress yourself out over pointless things. This may be part of the reason I’ve been able to get a lot work done, while still enjoying my trip. After being here for the past 2 weeks I’ve become accustomed to the culture differences. The days start early here; the locals or “Ticos” in the village wake up @ dawn or earlier to tend to their cows. The family I’m staying with happens to be one of the families that owns cows (13) and so breakfast is served at 5:30 am after the cows have been taken care of. Most people would say the food is something that you have to get used to, but thats not the case if you’re from San Diego and Spanish dishes are the staple of your diet. I suppose the second biggest adjustment if not the biggest would be speaking spanish ALL THE TIME, which I don’t mind. However, i’m certainly accustomed to being able to get away with speaking Spanglish to the mexicans back home. The ticos, especially in the village, know not a word of English which is constantly improving my Spanish.
Me milking a cow for the first time

Local nino and his new puppy

When I have time to step away from shooting the group, editing or joining in on the community service w/ the group I’m not able to keep it too tranquilo as there are still many other things to do. I keep busy by shooting landscapes and lifestyle photographs of my surroundings. I just had to run outside to corral three (family) cows that escaped their pen while I was the only one home! Classic! I keep the two kids in my family entertained Maria who is 3 years old an Justin who is 6. Occasionally I join the group leaders who are staying with a family down the street for coffee and a game of cards.
Group leader Jonathan enjoying our make shift bench press

Waterfall close to pura suerte

Although the first two weeks have gone by fast, its hard to believe that we still have 2 weeks left. We have a little over a week left here in the village and then were off for some more adventure, via ziplines and white water rafting. I’ll be sure to post a blog or two along with video of the remaining time with the group. After that my friend Steve will be joining me down here for a week filled with surfing and hopefully some fishing as well. Until next time, tranquilo mai(take it easy dude)!
Lightning storm in Pura Suerte
Lo mismo

No comments:

Post a Comment